Tuesday, September 13, 2011

And so it begins...

To say I was surprised when I watched the second pink line appear on the stick I was holding would probably be a bit of an over statement but it definitely took a while to sink in, in fact three weeks later its still sinking in!

So how did I get to this point?

D and I got married this June and immediately after we threw away any form of birth control. In fact I had stopped taking my pills 3 months earlier, mainly because I had run out of my prescription and was too lazy to go to the doctors for another one when I knew we would start trying after the wedding but it also gave my body time to adjust to not taking them, something I had been told was important to do, whether that's accurate I don't know.

We, or should I say I, decided that we wouldn't wait after the wedding to start trying to conceive, although originally I thought we would put it off until the fall of 2012 so that I wouldn't give birth until after I had finished my accounting designation. My main reason for wanting to start sooner then later is that I am 29 years old and I had NO IDEA whether either of us were fertile. I didn't want us to wait another two years before we started only to find out after months of trying that we couldn't do it with out help. I also assumed that if we started now we wouldn't conceive for a few months.

D's mother took FOUR years to conceive and I knew that my mother, in her thirties, started having difficulties (miscarriage) between my sister (two years younger then me) and my brother (seven years younger then me). We also knew there was a possibility that it wouldn't take long and we were completely prepared for that out come too.

After the wedding when I say we started trying that merely meant no protection....I didn't actually know when I ovulated so it was really no surprise that my period showed up in July but August was different, I actually calculated when my optimal week would be and made sure we tried during it.

Regardless, when I sat down to pee on that stick 3 weeks ago it wasn't because I was late and thinking I was pregnant. Nope, it was because I had promised D that I would not drink while we were trying to conceive EXCEPT during my period, and since that was about to arrive in the next day or so and I was planning to go out for dinner with my in-laws I figured I would check things out with a First Response test to see if I would be enjoying a glass of much wanted wine with my SIL.

I'm the impatient type and couldn't wait until I got home, 5 minutes before I left work I went to the bathroom fully expecting to get a negative...I didn't feel pregnant and who actually gets pregnant this soon!? I was completely convinced that I was NOT that girl so as I watched the urine make its way down the strip, the first line coming up bright pink and then the second appearing a lot fainter all I could think was ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?!

As soon as I was in the car I called my sister to get her opinion..."What are the chances that I could have a FALSE positive?!" I didn't know what an evap line looked like so I wasn't sure if that's what it was or if maybe the test was just faulty. She reminded me that I didn't live in a city with a wide range of places to by tests, so why didn't I just go buy a digital one? Good point!

Before going home I stopped at the grocery store, bought a Clear Blue digital test that promised results 5 days before your expected period and quickly headed for our house. Since I had already peed less then an hour ago I started guzzling water when I got inside and headed for the bathroom. D probably thought I had lost it but I NEEDED to know....have I mentioned that I'm impatient?

I suppose telling you that this test read "Pregnant 1-2 weeks" is pretty anticlimactic at this point but there you have it. Two tests for different brands confirming that I would NOT be having that much wanted glass of wine for at least another nine months and I couldn't be happier.

I am completely aware that things don't always go as plan and miscarriages are quite common, because of that fact D and I have agreed to only tell our close friends and family, people that we are prepared to share sad news with not just happy news, until we are further along.

At this point I am not sure if the three months point will be the lucky number or if we will wait closer to 5 or 6. I guess we'll just have to wait and see but until then I feel comfortable in sharing my news with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment